Re: VM: 2.4.10ac4 vs. 2.4.11pre2

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov (apodtele@mccammon.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 14:09:59 EST

Chris,

Can you elaborate on "all over the place" by posting standard deviations
of your measurements, or the entire sets? I guess you did about 6-10 of
each. I think it's important since - who cares about good average
performance if once in a while VM fails miserably.

To emphasize the importance of this: I would expect that large deviations
are more likely during short spikes of activity. It would be interesting
to see how start-up times of mozilla vary having your linear swap
test on the background. Too much to ask anyway.

Your conclusion about poor swapping with ac kernels is consistent with
earlier posts ("VM: more numbers").

Alexei