Thinkpad 755CX & 2.4: Machine Check Exception

From: Chris Chiappa (chris@chiappa.net)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 18:59:39 EST

I've got a Thinkpad 755CX (75MHz Pentium classic with the f00f bug). I've
been unable to boot any 2.4 kernels, even though 2.2 seems to run fine, and
burnP5 doesn't seem to produce any ill effects.
I've tried multiple compilations (both Linus and -ac kernels) by both me and
Debian with the obvious things to check (trying 386, 486, 586 kernels, etc,
leaving out APM...) with no difference in behavior. All I've been able to
come up with is a kernel which, immediately upon booting, dumps line after
line of the following:

CPU#0: Machine Check Exception: 0x BF??C (type 0x D).

The '??' seems to be random numbers but they scroll by so quickly that I
can't make out any distinct numbers. Any suggestions before starting a
binary search to find the kernel which broke this? I've attached a file with
the output of the kernel dmesg from 2.2.18pre21 (from Debian) and
/proc/cpuinfo.

--

..ooOO chris@chiappa.net | My opinions are my own OOoo.. ..ooOO chris.chiappa@oracle.com | and certainly not those OOoo.. ..ooOO http://www.chiappa.net/~chris/ | of my employer OOoo..