Re: Odd keyboard related crashes.

From: Ian Stirling (root@mauve.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 16:24:11 EST

> >I'm running 2.4.10, and the ps/2 keyboard came out of it's socket.
>
> >On plugging back in, all worked fine, until 10 seconds later there was a
> >crash. (the keyboard worked after being plugged in)
> >No oops, just a reboot.
<snip>
> When the keyboard is powered up (or plugged in), it goes through a self =
> test, and reports the status back to the PC. Normally, a start up dialogue =
> takes place between the PC and the keyboard at this point.
> That's fine when you boot your PC, but if you unplug then re-plug the =
> keyboard, the PC will be sent data it's really not expecting, and the BIOS =
> will be very confused.

I should have said.
Both times this happened, the keyboard was working fine after being
plugged in, correctly recognising 30 or so keypresses before the crash.

It happened ~10 seconds after the keyboard was plugged in, with the
system and keyboard remaining functional, with no keyboard related messages
sysloged (remote syslog, so I'm sure), which is why I suspect it may
not be hardware.