Re: Security question: "Text file busy" overwriting executables but

From: Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 11:30:19 EST

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > > The reason the kernel refuses to honour it, is that MAP_DENYWRITE is an
> > > excellent DoS-vehicle - you just mmap("/etc/passwd") with MAP_DENYWRITE,
> > > and even root cannot write to it.. Vary nasty.
> >
> > <nit>
> > I _really_ doubt that something does write() on /etc/passwd. Create a
> > file and rename it over the thing - sure, but that's it.
> > </nit>
>
> The MAP_DENYWRITE rule was added a long time ago because people found actual
> workable DoS attacks

Do you have any details. I would like to figure out what it takes to
export MAP_DENYWRITE safely to userspace.

Currently checking to see if the file is executable looks good
enough. I don't see any case where this would be a problem, unless
someone has set their permissions wrong.

The fix for bad permission (during a DOS attack) is either:
        chmod correct_permissions foo
        lsof foo | xargs kill
or:
        chmod correct_permissions foo