Re: __get_free_pages(): is the MEM really mine?

From: Bernd Harries (bha@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 08:32:18 EST

Hugh Dickins wrote:

> I don't
> know whether you're following the mmap-makes-all-pages-present
> model (using remap_page_range), or the fault-page-by-page model
> (supplying your own nopage function).

The nopage method. In Alessandro Rubini's book (p.391) I read, that I can't use remap_page_range() on pages optained by get_free_page().

> But either way it sounds like
> you bump each page count by 1 when you map it in, and then when > it's unmapped the count goes down to 0 on all the later
> order-0-pages,

exactly that happens in the version I use on minor 26 today.

> so they get freed before you're done with them.

Hmm, the only thing that happens to them after munmap() is
free_pages(). I don't access the pages anymore. But maybe some code in free_pages does? Or decrements count to -1?

> Either you should force page count 1 on each of the
> order-0-pages before you mmap them in

Yes, I do that in the version used in minor 27 today right after the allocation.

> (and raise count to 2);

by get_page(), right?

> or you should set
> the Reserved bit on each them, and clear it before freeing
> (see use of mem_map_reserve and mem_map_unreserve in various
> drivers/sound
> sources using remap_page_range; there's also a couple of
> examples of the nopage method down there too).

Ok, thanks a lot. So it's definitely insufficient how my minor 26 version handles the pages, right? If so, that's a statement I can live with.

And it was never ment that I could simply mmap the upper pages to userspace directly, without 'touching' each page, was it?

Ciao,

--
Bernd Harries

bha@gmx.de http://bharries.freeyellow.com bharries@web.de Tel. +49 421 809 7343 priv. | MSB First! harries@stn-atlas.de +49 421 457 3966 offi. | Linux-m68k bernd@linux-m68k.org +49 172 139 6054 handy | Medusa T40 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/