Re: Past CREDITS files

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 17:04:32 EST

> I would like to examine the CREDITS files of all/most kernels released over
> time. How could I get my hands on these? I want to study the accumulation
> of contributors over the years. This is part of my masters thesis project.

Download all the kernels. Be aware they are
        - Wildly inaccurate
        - Started becoming accurate later on
        - Were subject to significant external effects (the RH IPO
                caused people to massively update/send in new CREDIT entries)

They still represent a tiny subset of contributors. Especially the thousands
who send in the odd small patch

> BTW, when was the current twofold stable/devel numbering scheme started?

See my historical mail archive.
http://www.linux.org.uk/Old-LK/Old-linux-kernel

Its in there somewhere 8)