Re: Security question: "Text file busy" overwriting executables but not shared libraries?

From: Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 08:23:21 EST

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> ebiederm@xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman) writes:
>
> |> So any good ideas on how to get the size of linux down?
>
> How about linux-0.01?

There might be some fodder there, but I doubt it. I have
played with linux-lite-v1.00 (which is something like linux-1.09).
And couldn't get any really compelling results. Plus for it to be
useful I would still need to backport all of the driver API's from
2.4.x.

Just for a note, UZI has been ported to x86 as UZIX so a 32KB kernel
(without a network stack is achievable on x86). If I can get a core
kernel size with no drivers down to 64KB or less I would be happy.

So far I haven't been able to come up with anything satisfying.

Eric