Re: Security question: "Text file busy" overwriting executables but not shared libraries?

From: Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 01:15:01 EST

Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> writes:

> On 3 Oct 2001, Eric W. Biederman quoted:

> IMO it needs a slight correction.
>
> + /* Unfortunately, that is not an option, since losing bloatware like GNU's
> + relies heavily on equally bloated shared libraries and use of MAP_COPY
> + would eat memory with no mercy. OTOH, implementing it might be a good
> + idea, since results would force people to switch to something less obese */

Hmm. Perhaps. But if we went there we would need to add something like.

/* But finding a less obese platform to run these less obese libraries is a
   challenge. Unix clones like UZI have been shown to run a complete system
   including user space binaries in just 64KB of RAM, on systems
   originally designed to run CPM. But today you can't find a general
   purpose kernel whose binary much less it footprint fits in 256KB.
   It seems bloatware is everywhere.
 */

I have days when I'm frustrated by the size of both glibc and the
linux kernel. stripped both the linux kernel and glibc are comparable
in size. Though I think the 400KB of compressed glibc-2.1.2 is
actually smaller than the kernel for the most part. I have to strip
off practically everthing to get a useable bzImage under 400KB.

So any good ideas on how to get the size of linux down?

Eric