Re: Strange CD-writing problem

From: Wilson (defiler@null.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 16:56:19 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mikael Pettersson" <mikpe@csd.uu.se>
To: <lior@netvision.net.il>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: Strange CD-writing problem

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 19:41:53 +0200 (IST), Lior Okman wrote:
>
> >I recently bought a new IDE cd-rw (a Plextor W1610A).
> >While trying to burn with it, I had some trouble fixating the disks.
>
> I'd move that ATAPI cd-rw to the primary controller, and reserve
> the Promise controller for UDMA(33) and above disks.

Just thought I'd add something here: Even Promise suggests that you not run
optical drives on their controllers. They aren't trustworthy when connected
to Ultra100 controllers even under Win98/Win2k. I don't have an exact quote
for you, but this has been discussed (with feedback from Promise) on
StorageReview.

Regards,
--Wilson.