Re: linux-kernel-announce?

From: Mike Fedyk (mfedyk@matchmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 14:48:11 EST

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 05:47:29PM +0100, Chris Howells wrote:
> Are there any plans for a low volume list of announcements regarding the
> Linux kernel? For example, whenever Linus or Alan or whoever releases a
> kernel, I would find it very useful to be notified of this by e-mail, since I
> typically wish to run the latest stable Linux kernel that is available.
>
> Sure this information is available here on the main list, although I
> personally do not have the time (or to be honest, the inclanation) to be on
> this list. As a result of this, I tend not to find out about the latest
> kernel releases until a day or two later and I notice a story on Slashdot, or
> stumble on to kernel.org, and see the announcement there.

The problem with that, is that there is usually a reply to the announcement
that is helpful before you compile it. Many times there is even a small
patch (usually for pre or -ac kernels) that fixes some small oversight.

At the moment, if you want to run the latest kernel, you should be reading
this list.