Re: Basic reiserfs question

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolabs.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 12:04:26 EST

On Sep 07, 2001 13:38 +0200, Mack Stevenson wrote:
> Sorry, but there's something still troubling me: is getting the following
> lines written to syslog normal upon booting after a "clean" shutdown or an
> indicator of a "dirty" shutdown?
>
> >From syslog, referring to the last time I booted my machine:
>
> reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 03:02) ...
> Warning, log replay starting on readonly filesystem
> reiserfs: replayed 16 transactions in 4 seconds
> using r5 hash to sort names
> ReiserFS version 3.6.25
> VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.

This clearly means that it is a "dirty" shutdown, because it is replaying
the journal log.

> Should I worry if I don't get such messages whenever I boot? Or should I
> worry if I get those messages after (apparently) clean shutdown procedures?

It would be troublesome if you got the messages after a clean shutdown.
This might mean that reiserfs is not syncing some journal buffers to disk
when the root filesystem is remounted read-only. Alternately, it may mean
that it is finding bogus transactions to replay in the journal (I don't
know how reiserfs determines whether the journal is clean or dirty).

It may also mean that your disk claims to have written data to disk, but
then only puts it in cache and you power off before in actually writes it.
Do you have APM/ACPI power off after shutdown?

Cheers, Andreas