Re: K7/Athlon optimizations again. (The sacrifices worked??) (VIA KT133A chipset)

From: Luigi Genoni (kernel@Expansa.sns.it)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 17:01:50 EST

On KT133A based MBs, I came trought at less 4 bios upgrades, and no
problems at all. Usually I do not oveclock CPUs, so i keep 1.725 volts for
vcore instead of 1.75, and system are just STABLE. In the reality setting
1.725 volts in the bios gives to my CPUs on abit MBs the right 1.75 volts,
and setting 1.75 gives them 1.78/9. So I would suggest also to investigate
if this light overvolt could be involved to create instabilities.
I just made a test, and saw that on athlon 1.33 Ghz this volts diffecence
creates a 5 degres difference when CPU is idle, and 7/8 when it is full
loaded. And belive me, actually i am keeping thos CPU in a 18 degrees
environment, using delta's fan to dissipate the eath.

I know that a light overvolt should increase stability, and not generate
instability, but maybe if CPUs and north bridge get too hot, (not
so hot to destroy the HW, but anyway hotter in front of the optimal
temperature), that could generate instability on loaded systems.

just my 2 cents

Luigi