Re:Re: matroxfb problems with dualhead G400

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@transvirtual.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 11:55:33 EST

> > could we somehow detect in register_framebuffer that whe're going
> > multihead and disable software scrolling ?
> >
> > I didn't look at the code so i don't know if it's feasible , just a
> > suggestion ..
>
> Unfortunately once scrollback gets enabled (and allocates its scrollback
> buffers, fills couple of pointers here and there), it is not trivial to
> disable it again. If someone feels for doing that, do that. But I think
> that changing default scrollback value from 32768 to 0 is better - as
> you'll still have scrollback if your hardware can do it.

I agree for 2.4 kernels the solution Petr stated is the best. It is not
easy to properly implement soft scrollback. Sometime ago I worked on a new
scrollback implementation that was more in the upper console layers so
other systems could take advanatge of it. It is not a easy problem to
solve. In the next following weeks I should start working on this again.