Re: lpr to HP laserjet stalls

From: Michael Ben-Gershon (mybg@netvision.net.il)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 06:21:31 EST

Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 02:03:03PM +0300, Michael Ben-Gershon wrote:
>
> > Sep 3 00:33:29 linux kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778)
> > [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP]
>
> This is 'polling' mode. So, three code paths left to try. :-)
>
> > As far as I can see, although IRQ 7 is detected, it is not used, so
> > I don't see how starting parport with irq=none would help. Could
> > CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO actually improve matters in such a situation?
>
> It could, yes.
>
> I certainly wouldn't have expected stalls in polling mode though. I
> wonder what's up with that.
>
> It would be very useful to see if there's any change with (a)
> interrupt-driven, (b) PIO, or (c) DMA printing.

Please excuse my ignorance, but if it detects the IRQ and does not use it,
how is it possible to set up interrupt-driven mode?

I am not really a 'kernel hacker', but am posting here as I have not
managed to solve the problem elsewhere. So please tell me exactly what to
put on the kernel command line at start-up.

Many thanks,

Michael Ben-Gershon
mybg@netvision.net.il