Re: Announce loop-AES-v1.4d file/swap crypto package

From: Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@eyal.emu.id.au)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 15:56:09 EST

Jari Ruusu wrote:
> In short: If file and swap crypto is all you need, this package is a hassle
> free replacement for international crypto patch and HVR's crypto-api.

Some comments about the packaging (which I made once before).

1) It claims to allow you to specify the kernel sources dir, but it then
runs 'depmod' without a nominated version which is only valid if you
are building for the running kernel. I now have it doing
        depmod -ae $(KERNELRELEASE)

2) 'make' will also install the module. It would be nice to have an
explicit 'make install' instead.

3) The module is installed as loop.o, same as the standard kernel
module. I prefer to use different names for added modules.

Also, it ends up in
        /lib/modules/VERSION/block/loop.o
which is fine for 2.2, but 2.4 uses
        /lib/modules/VERSION/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o
so you now have two loop.o - do you know which one will be loaded?

I changed it to install as loop-aes.o:
        cp -p loop.o $(ML)/kernel/drivers/block/loop-aes.o
and I can now select a module in the modules config.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>