Re: Multiple monitors

From: Simon Hay (simon@haywired.org)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 15:11:24 EST

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Jakob Østergaard wrote:

> XFree86 has pretty good support for multiple heads.
>
> If you tie an xterm to the root window, I guess you would get something
> pretty close to what you're looking for. Or, configure some window manager
> properly to do exactly what you want.

I had considered doing that - I believe that some of the framebuffer
code supports multiple heads as well(?) - but in this particular case it
wasn't appropriate - the whole point was to demonstrate what could be
achieved using only a command line ;-) Also, though, on dedicated servers
etc. I'd rather not be running X if I didn't have to. Would this be a
particularly difficult thing to implement as a kernel patch? I'd like to
try to get involved in kernel development at some point and am looking for
something to ease myself in slowly - preferably something useful but
unimportant ;-) Are there any show stoppers involved here - or does
anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Simon