TMSCSIM module bug in 2.2.19?

From: John William (jw2357@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 21:14:58 EST

While playing around with the tmscsim.o driver included with 2.2.19, I have
the following problem.

One of my drives (Seagate Hawk) does not properly negotiate SYNC with the
driver on boot up. After the machine is booted, I have to issue an INQUIRY
command to the tmscsim driver to get it to recognize that the drive is SYNC
capable.

Today, I noticed that every time I issue the INQUIRY command (with a 'echo
"INQUIRY 0" > /proc/scsi/tmscsim/0") I get an error. Doing this on an
otherwise quiet machine (no other processes acessing the disk) gives me the
following:

Sep 2 16:13:54 cx kernel: DC390: Issue INQUIRY command to Dev(Idx)
0 SCSI ID 0 LUN 0
Sep 2 16:13:54 cx kernel: DC390: Queue INQUIRY command to dev ID 00
LUN 00
Sep 2 16:13:54 cx kernel: SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 0 lu
n 0 return code = 8000000
Sep 2 16:13:54 cx kernel: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current sd08:06: s
ense key Aborted Command
Sep 2 16:13:54 cx kernel: Additional sense indicates Overlapped comm
ands attempted
Sep 2 16:13:54 cx kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:06, sector 3714

The sector number is not the same every time, but appears to be some sort of
remnant of the last disk access before the INQUIRY command was run. This is
repeatable on my machine (and, I suspect, may be why the module doesn't
properly negotiate SYNC on boot-up).

The interesting point is that even with this (apparent) failure, the driver
correctly sets the SYNC attribute for the drive.

This is on a stock 2.2.19 machine, i386 SMP (dual Pentium).

Any ideas?

- John