Re: lilo vs other OS bootloaders was: FreeBSD makes progress

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 10:50:42 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> All the discussion we have has been based on seriously enhancing and
> expanding the use of the initrd/ramfs layer. Remember we can begin running
> from ramfs without interrupts, pci bus scans or the like. The things it cant
> do are - pick a kernel by processor type, pick SMP/non SMP.

The kernel could be chosen by processor type, if you added a "reboot
into a new kernel" function.

It would be rather large for one initramfs, as _all_ of the modules have
combinations of SMP/non-SMP x i386/486/586/686/athlon/686-PAE versions,
not just the core kernel.

It may still be a useful function for CDROM or network boots though.
I.e. initramfs selects an optimised kernel and set of modules to run,
and replaces the current generic kernel with the optimised one.

-- Jamie