idetape broke in 2.4.x-2.4.9-ac5 (write OK but not read) ide-scsi works in 2.4.4

From: Floydsmith@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 10:03:12 EST

Now, I can get everything (my ide ls-120 and ide HP 8Gig tape) to work in
2.2.18. I can also get both to work in 2.4.4 (and earlier 2.4.x) but only
with what I believe is an unnecessay "workarround" - namely by configuring
IDESCSI into the kernel (SCSI emulation) and then using boot param
hdc=ide-scsi. However, I feel, that I should not have to do that with any
kernel (that is, SCSI emulation should be optional for this device) because
this was the case for 2.2.18.

If I try not to use SCSI emulation for all 2.4.x kernels (including:
Kernel 2.4.9-ac5 on i686
then
ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc = 8, key = 5, asc = 2c, ascq = 0
tar: /dev/ht0: Cannot read: Input/output error
(writes work OK though)

As mentioned above, scsi emulation works for 2.4.4 (reads and writes). But if
turned on in 2.4.9-ac5, then I get
/dev/st0: No such device
So, with kernels above 2.4.4, I can't use the drive at all (or at least can't
"read" with it which makes it useless).

The ideal situtation (at least for me) would be to have 2.4.x kernels behave
like the 2.2.x ones, that is, scsi emulation would not need to be turned on
for these ide drives (that is, it would be optional) and I would go back to
using /dev/ht0.

Floyd,