I released the 0.4 version of the GPL Gujin bootloader.
Its homepage (with screenshoots) is at:
Its documentation (FAQ, HowTo) is at:
All other information and source/precompiled downloads at:
In short, this bootloader:
- Is for PCs with at least an 80386 and a VGA, VESA1 or VESA2+
- Loads Linux kernel images (zImage and bZimage) without the help
of LILO, and short-circuit all real-mode code in the kernel to
start at the first protected mode instruction of the kernel.
You can use it to load unlimited size kernels and initrd, and
easily select the text/graphic mode for running the kernel.
- is nearly completely written in C using GCC, so it is easy to
modify/improve it. It uses e2fsprogs-1.22 to understand E2FS
filesystems and a completely rewritten zlib to decompress the
kernel. FAT12/FAT16 support is working.
- stay in real mode for the complete boot process, so should be
compatible with all PCs.
- Can be installed as a bootloader (only on a floppy right now)
or as a DOS/Win boot.exe
- 80 % of the code is already written, so I just need to write
the last 80 % to have the 1.0 version -:) It is IHMO already
a good rescue floppy disk or a good single floppy system
loader (minimum configuration around 20 Kb).
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Tue Aug 07 2001 - 21:00:37 EST