Re: ext3-2.4-0.9.4

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 10:50:36 EST

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 05:47:17PM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> > As far as the fsync semantics are concerned. Yeah, they would be useful,
> > but only to avoid one directory fsync call that will tell the kernel
> > _exactly_ what the process wants instead of letting it figure it out by
> > itself.
>
> No, it's not just that. It's not enough to fsync just the parent, the
> parent's parent may have been relinked and not comitted. Also, the
> kernel has the advantage of the locked chain of dcache entries
> available to it.

Not necessarily. If the file has been hard-linked and then the
original link removed, we don't have a valid dcache entry any more
(and yes, this is a common construct for some applications --- it is
often used to work around NFS atomicity problems.)

An MTA using such a construct and expecting fsync to do the right
thing will *not* work if you follow the dcache chain on fsync as you
propose here.

> We don't need all the paths, and not any specific path, just a path.

Exactly, because fsync makes absolutely no gaurantees about the
namespace. So a lost+found path is quite sufficient.

Cheers,
 Stephen