Re: 2.4.7 -- GCC-3.0 -- "multiline string literals deprecated" -- PATCH

From: Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@zmailer.org)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 09:11:29 EST

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 11:52:56PM +1000, Gareth Hughes wrote:
> paulr wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > While building both kernels 2.4.6 and 2.4.7,
> > I encountered a series of compiler warnings,
> >
> > warning: multiline string literals are deprecated.
> >
> > The build environment was gcc3.0 and binutils-2.11.2.
>
> Yes, unfortunately GCC 3.0 deprecated multiline string literals -- I saw
> someone arguing on the GCC mailing lists that writing large chunks of
> inline asm shouldn't be "easy",....

   Those are different things.

   The multiline string literal deprecation comes from people who
   define what the new ANSI-C (C9X, or whatever) is, and inline asm
   just uses literal strings as its input data.

   The inline asm() does essentially want to look like a function call
   with lots of strings as parameters. It has special __builtin_ meaning,
   of course, but that is way after the lexical input scanner has done
   its work.

> -- Gareth

/Matti Aarnio