Re: Question about gettimeofday

From: Chris Friesen (cfriesen@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 08:29:19 EST

Subhash S wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In my application I use gettimeofday very frequently, as it is system
> call on linux it is expensive, where as on Solaris it is not so. Could
> you please tell me how solaris is implemented the function gettimeofday.

While I can't tell you how Solaris implemented it, I can say that in general if
you want very frequent timing access you're probably better off using inline
assembly to get at some processor-specific timer. On a 400Mhz G4, the
difference was about a microsecond for gettimeofday() vs about 25 nanoseconds
for the assembly code.

--
Chris Friesen                    | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks                  | work: (613) 765-0557