Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Hans Reiser (reiser@namesys.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 04:55:40 EST

"Henning P. Schmiedehausen" wrote:

> Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com> writes:
>
> >I also don't consider any 2.4 prior to 2.4.4 to be stable, and I don't consider
> >2.4.4 to be especially stable but it is usable.
>
> >Shipping 2.4.2 is something you and RedHat did for understandable marketing
> >reasons. SuSE waited for 2.4.4.
>
> Well, SuSE shipped 2.4.2 on their 7.1 release and I didn't see you
> jumping up and down in anger for "shipping an unstable release":
>
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.1/full-names/i386/k_i386_24-2.4.2-12.i386.rpm
>
> Ah, but then again, you got money from them... He who pays the piper,
> calls the tune. And you're a fine piper.
>
> Sorry, but I can't take you seriously. Especially as you're _so_
> _obviously_ vendor biased, that it stinks.
>
> Regards
> Henning
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
> INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH hps@intermeta.de
>
> Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de
> D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20
> -

I stand corrected, this means that all of the distros shipped 2.4 before they
should have. (I use SuSE 7.2. I thought that 7.1 had a 2.2 kernel as the
default, but I guess I was wrong.)

SuSE has its flaws also. I have complained to them about the yast license, for
instance. (I think the best single thing they could do for SuSE sales is change
that license.) All the distros I know of except debian like to put kernel
patches into their distros first. You would think they would want them in the
kernel first so that they could know they are stable, but that would give them
no "advantage". Sigh. I suppose there are much worse things they could do.

Hans

PS

I don't get money from SuSE anymore, I get it from DARPA. I do run SuSE on my
computer though, which is probably enough to bias me.