2.4.7 -- GCC-3.0 -- "multiline string literals deprecated" -- PATCH

From: paulr (reichp@ameritech.net)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 23:57:45 EST

Folks,

While building both kernels 2.4.6 and 2.4.7,
I encountered a series of compiler warnings,

warning: multiline string literals are deprecated.

The build environment was gcc3.0 and binutils-2.11.2.

In:
linux/arch/i386/kernel/semaphore.c,
linux/include/asm-i386/checksum.h, and
linux/include/asm-i386/floppy.h,

the placement of "" characters in the asm() directives
appeared to be the source of the messages.

The compiler messages seem harmless. Unfortunately,
warnings from these asm() constructs flooded the compile
log, making it difficult to locate "real" warnings....

I have attached patches against 2.4.7 for the files
above. " and \n" constructs were added for each asm()
stanza where the messages occurred. Please note that
this seems to be compiler-related. The 2.4.7 code worked
fine ;-)

NOTE:

I do *not* have an SMP system to verify the correctness
of the CONFIG_SMP asm() conditionals in

      linux/arch/i386/kernel/semaphore.c

Please verify the SMP case.....

Please cc: me as needed; I am not subscribed to l-k.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Reich              RF/Microwave Engineer

Support the "Freedom To Innovate"... Just say "No".