Re: Support for serial console on legacy free machines

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw (jbglaw@lug-owl.de)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 17:53:14 EST

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 04:40:31PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> There was some talk about using a low level IP console over ethernet,
> but I would imagine this is more complex than the same thing on a
> parallel-port. I could be wrong. Of course, an IP console has the
> advantage of being useful over a longer distance than a parallel cable,
> but may have the disadvantage of poor security.

Well, you could use IP (If you use IP autoconfig you could even
route it), but also a proprietary protocol like MOP did centuries
ago. That would only give you access as long as you've on the
same physical network.

However - I'd love to see a networked console.

MfG, JBG
PS: And I'd like to see ~22 Am7990 Lance drivers to go away!!! Bloat...