RE: PROBLEM: Random (hard) lockups

From: Manuel A. McLure (mmt@unify.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 16:17:33 EST

Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Kurt Garloff wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 02:34:01PM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > > The machine is a 1GHz Athlon (266) on an MSI K7T Turbo
> with 256M ram,
> > A 1.2GHz Athlon with the very same motherboard and the same
> amount of RAM
> > seems to be stable with 2.4.7 and PPro or K6 optimizations
> and crashes
> > during the init procedure if the kernel is optimized for K7.
>
> Perhaps someone can make a test case .c program which uses K7
> optimizations to smash memory? It would be nice to be able to pin this
> down. Obviously, the standard memory testers aren't catching it.
>
> Is this only happening on DDR systems?
>
> -Dan

I am seeing something very similar on my K7T Turbo/Athlon 900/256M PC133
SDRAM (note to Dan, the K7T Turbo is an SDRAM mobo, not DDR) - 2.4.6 worked
fine with no hangs/oopses but 2.4.7 will suddenly hang after an uptime of a
day or two. Sysrq-b will reboot, but Sysrq-s and Sysrq-u seem to be
ineffective, and the machine won't respond to pings. Of course, I'm always
in X when this happens so I don't see any oops information (whatever
happened to the "write oops to floppy" patches?). Both 2.4.6 and 2.4.7 are
compiled with K7 optimizations turned on.

--
Manuel A. McLure - Unify Corp. Technical Support <mmt@unify.com>
Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other peoples needs. Very sad