Re: binary modules (was Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption)

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 12:44:05 EST

Jeff Garzik writes:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> > The Linux freevxfs module is read only currently. Veritas apparently will be
> > releasing the genuine article for Linux but binary only with all the mess
> > that entails
>
> Isn't that a violation of the GPL, to release binary modules?

Linus said it's OK. I know Alan doesn't agree, but that's life :-)
The king penguin has spoken.

I don't see the need to be bloody-minded on this issue. If a vendor
wants to go through the pain of tracking kernel drift and having to
compile modules for many different versions, then let them. Given how
much trouble it is, why bother them with legal threats?

The right answer for vendors who want to ship binary modules is to
ship an Open Source interface layer which shields the vendor from
kernel drift (since users will be able to build the interface layer if
they need to, without waiting for the vendor).
I guess that would also shield them from unhelpful legal threats.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca