2.4.8-pre1 and dbench -20% throughput

From: Roger Larsson (roger.larsson@skelleftea.mail.telia.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 16:08:04 EST

Hi all,

I have done some throughput testing again.
Streaming write, copy, read, diff are almost identical to earlier 2.4 kernels.
(Note: 2.4.0 was clearly better when reading from two files - i.e. diff -
15.4 MB/s v. around 11 MB/s with later kenels - can be a result of disk
layout too...)

But "dbench 32" (on my 256 MB box) results has are the most interesting:

2.4.0 gave 33 MB/s
2.4.8-pre1 gives 26.1 MB/s (-21%)

Do we now throw away pages that would be reused?

[I have also verified that mmap002 still works as expected]

/RogerL