Re: Hard disk problem:

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 10:22:20 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Model=IBM-DTLA-307030, FwRev=TX4OA50C, SerialNo=YKDYKGF1437
> >
> > Ah, one of these excellent Hungarian DTLA drives? :) AFAIK, the entire batch
> > was broken, although there are people who insist that there was no single
> > working hard drive leaving that factory! I personally have seen 7 out of 7
> > failing...
>
> I have a large collection of these drives and none of them are problematic,
> while the maxtors seem a little less reliable
>
> > Take it back to where you bought it and demand a replacement for something
> > NOT bearing "MADE IN HUNGARY" sign.
>
> Of course the writer of this is Polish and the drives are Hungarian ..

But he is right. Practically all the "Made in Hungary" ones develop bad
sectors after a few months. The "Made in Phillipinnes" ones do not.
Strangely, I am Hong Kong and almost all the GXP75s we got here were
made in Hungary - go figure! They were so bad the dealers finally
wouldn't stock them. If your experience has been different, think
yourself lucky.

Regards,
Steve