Re: ext3-2.4-0.9.4

From: Richard A Nelson (cowboy@vnet.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 13:32:48 EST

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <E15PnTJ-0003z0-00@the-village.bc.nu>,
> Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> >> Go tell your opinion to those people that refuse to wrap their
> >> rename/link calls with open()/fsync() calls to the respective parents,
> >> particularly Daniel J. Bernstein, Wietse Z. Venema, among others. I
> >> don't possibly know all MTAs.

[snip]
> Also, I think he eventually agreed on the logic of fsync() on the
> directory, and we even had a bug report (quickly fixed) for reiserfs
> because it got confused by it.

In looking at the synchronous directory options, I'm unsure as to
the 'real' status wrt fsync() on a directory:
        1) Does fsync() of a directory work on most/all current FS?
        2) Does it work on 2.2.x as well as 2.4.x?

--
Rick Nelson
"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited