RE: Linux 2.4.7-ac1

From: Paul Larson (plars@austin.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 07:42:10 EST

I was running the Linux Test Project's latest testsuite against 2.4.7-ac1 and
noticed one test failed that did not fail in 2.4.7 and 2.4.6-ac5. The
pth_str02 test (simple test that tries to create 1000 threads) could only
make it up to 980 threads on my machine. Saw this change in fork.c with
2.4.7-ac1:

- max_threads = mempages / (THREAD_SIZE/PAGE_SIZE) / 2;
+ max_threads = mempages / (THREAD_SIZE/PAGE_SIZE) / 16;

Any reason why this was done? I think the max I was ever able to hit before
was somewhere around 1018 or so, so it's not that big of a drop. I was just
wondering why it was being further limited since I didn't see anything in the
changelog about it.

Thanks,
Paul Larson