Re: Patch suggestion for proxy arp on shaper interface

From: Roberto Arcomano (berto@fatamorgana.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 13:06:34 EST

Il 00:31, mercoledì 25 luglio 2001, Alexey Kuznetsov ha scritto:
> Hello!
>
> > Recently I have had a problem with Linux proxy arp feature (using with
> > shaper
>
> You must not enable proxy arp, when routing is asymmetric or configure
> it manually. Shaper device is one of cases, when proxy arp cannot work
> correctly.
>
> Alexey
> -

Hello,
First thank you for your answer. I must enable proxy arp cause I need it with
shaper interface. During configuration in user mode I noticed that kernel
sees shaper device instead of using its device attached (in fact I received
from a lan machine a "IP conflit"): I think that it is more correct to use
the device attached to shaper, for 2 reasons:
1-) shaper is not a "real" interface (I mean directly connected to a wire or
wireless physical interface), while proxy arp sends "ARP REPLY" using
physical devices only.

2-) Proxy arp would become more flexible, also using proxy arp interface:
proxy arp is a great thing, particulary with complex wireless networks. Like
all good thinks I think that we have to keep it under kernel to keep simplify
sysadmin life!

Anyway, there are some applications that need shaper and proxy arp (for
example using a traffic manager behind a firewall).

As I said in my first message, I tested it with 2.4.6 and it "appears" (I
tested it in a very little net) to work well (but I think performance aren't
so well...).

Thank you for your help.
Best regards
Roberto Arcomano