Re: about serial console problem

From: Robert J.Dunlop (rjd@xyzzy.clara.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 06:12:16 EST

On Wed, Jul 25, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> "Robert J.Dunlop" <rjd@xyzzy.clara.co.uk> writes:
> > Actually more and more have been implementing
> > it as we go through 2.4.x, depends when your particular driver got caught.
>
> Do you know the history on how/why ~CREAD support started showing in
> in the linux kernels. I'd like to understand what is going on.

Sorry! I've red herringed you here. Most drivers were fixed way back in
2.2.x or before. From the Changelog we have:

  Fri Nov 8 20:19:50 1996 Theodore Ts'o <tytso@rsts-11.mit.edu>
    * serial.c (change_speed): Add support for CREAD, as required by POSIX

I just happed to notice the late change on a couple of third party drivers
and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

--
        Bob Dunlop                      FarSite Communications
        rjd@xyzzy.clara.co.uk           bob.dunlop@farsite.co.uk