Re: [RFC] Optimization for use-once pages

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 17:05:36 EST

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:
>
> > Today's patch tackles the use-once problem, that is, the problem of
>
> Well, as I see the patch should remove the problem where
> drop_behind() deactivates pages of a readahead window even if
> some of those pages are not "used-once" pages, right ?
>
> I just want to make sure the performance improvements you're
> seeing caused by the fix of this _particular_ problem.

Fully agreed.

Especially since it was a one-liner change from worse
performance to better performance (IIRC) it would be
nice to see exactly WHY the system behaves the way it
does. ;)

Reading a bunch of 2Q, LRU/k, ... papers and thinking
about the problem very carefully should help us a bit
in this. Lots of researches have already looked into
this particular problem in quite a lot of detail.

regards,

Rik

--
Executive summary of a recent Microsoft press release:
   "we are concerned about the GNU General Public License (GPL)"

http://www.surriel.com/ http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com/