Re: user-mode port 0.44-2.4.7

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 12:38:45 EST

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> Not that much if you look at how incl is "decomposed" internally ( w/o LOCK )
> by the CPU. If you really care about j you need an atomic op here, in any case.

Yes, but the "inc" is atomic at least on a UP system. So here "volatile"
might actually _show_ bugs instead of hiding them.

The real isssue, though, is that that is all volatile ever does. It can
show or hide bugs, but it can't fix them.

Of course, some people consider hidden bugs to _be_ fixed. I don't believe
in that particulat philosophy myself.

                Linus