Linux speed on sun4c

From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 00:06:12 EST

NetBSD/Sparc's FAQ asserts:

    Why is NetBSD so much faster than SparcLinux on sun4c (top)

        The memory management hardware on sun4c machines (SPARCStation
        1, 1+, 2, IPC, IPX, SLC, ELC and clones) is not handled particularly
        well by Linux. Until Linux reworks their MMU code NetBSD will be very
        much faster on this hardware.

Was there ever any truth to this statement? It seems to be light on
technical details. Have these purported issues ever been fixed?

I don't want to be scared into running NetBSD on my SparcStation 2 :D.