Re: [patch] ess maestro, support for hardware volume control

From: Ben Pfaff (pfaffben@msu.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 16:23:13 EST

Alan Cox <alan@redhat.com> writes:

> > this patch applies to (at least) 2.4.3 up to and including 2.4.6-pre2.
> > It enables the hardware volume control feature of the maestro.
>
> it doesnt apply to the current version of the maestro driver (2.4.5-ac)
> however. I think it is clashing with the docking station support

Yeah, it does--I included support for the hwv control in the
docking patch. I used a different technique though because I
couldn't get the technique used by Lukas's patch to work properly
for me.

I now have a patch that will output the hwv buttons pressed (up,
down, mute) to a new dynamically allocated misc device as letters
u, d, m, instead of directly modifying the mixer. Anyone want
that? It's more flexible than either the patch that's currently
in -ac or Lukas's patch, but you need a little userspace daemon
for it to do anything useful.

BTW, what is the officially approved way to open a device on a
dynamic misc minor? Reading /proc/misc for the minor number,
then mknod'ing a device and opening it seems to me to have a
nasty race condition, am I missing something here?