[Fwd: Plain 2.4.5 VM... (and 2.4.5-ac3)]

From: Benjamin Redelings I (bredelin@ucla.edu)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 20:33:44 EST

Here is a message from Steve Kieu that he couldn't get through...

--
Einstein did not prove that everything is relative.
Einstein explained how the speed of light could be constant.

attached mail follows:

Just add my experience here...

I use up to 2.4.4 and it is fine ; swap usage increase much but only in 2.4.5-acx IMHO it is because Alan did some changes?

test with staroffice 5.1 in 35Mb RAM 32M swap 100Mhz just start staroffice and check, then exit check

kernel usage usage when exit time (sec) 2.4.4-pre4 2.5M 2.5M 48 2.4.4 2.0M 2.0M 48 2.4.5 3.5M 3.5M 49 2.4.5-ac1 7.9M 7.9M 49

In 2.4.4 and 2.4.4-pre4 I noticed the kernel DID free swap when it needs. For example when I ran netscape for a while typing email in a web mail form (that way netscape will make memory leak) swap usage sometimes 17M. Quit netscape it reduced to about 12M; of course leave a lot free memory). Start netscape again SWAP REDUCED TO about 2M , just a bit bigger at the fisrt time I start netscape.

Steve

--- Benjamin Redelings I <bredelin@ucla.edu> wrote: > Vincent Stemen wrote: > > The problem is, that's not true. These problems > are not slipping > > through because of lack of testers. > Just to add some sanity to this thread, I have been > using the 2.4.x > kernels ever since they came out, on my personal > workstation and on some > workstations that I administrate for fellow students > in my department > here at UCLA. They have basically worked fine for > me. They are not > perfect, but many of the 2.4.x releases have been a > big improvement over > the 2.2.x releases. For one, 2.4.x actually can > tell which pages are > not used, and swap out unused daemons, which helps a > lot on a 64Mb box :) > > -BenR > -- > Einstein did not prove that everything is relative. > Einstein explained how the speed of light could be > constant. > Benjamin Redelings I <>< > http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~bredelin/ > > - > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line > "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org > More majordomo info at > http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

===== S.KIEU

_____________________________________________________________________________ http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger - Voice chat, mail alerts, stock quotes and favourite news and lots more!