2.4.5 VM

From: Trever L. Adams (vichu@digitalme.com)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 17:46:00 EST

In my opinion 2.4.x is NOT ready for primetime. The VM has been getting
worse since 2.4.0, I believe. Definitely since and including 2.4.3. I
cannot even edit a few images in gimp where the entire working set used
to fit entirely in memory. The system now locks in some loop (SAK still
works).

FILE CACHING IS BROKEN. I don't care who says what, by the time swap is
half filled, it is time to start throwing away simple caches. Not wait
until there is no more memory free and then lock in an infinite loop.

My system has 128 Meg of Swap and RAM.

Trever Adams