Hard lockup debugging suggestions? APIC enabling suggestions?

From: Paul Walmsley (shag-linux-kernel@booyaka.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 18:22:57 EST

Hello,

I have an 700Mhz Pentium III HP Omnibook 6000 that has been locking up
hard several times per day under Linux 2.4.4-ac11. This lockup occurs
during standard use of the system, e.g., web browsing or text editing.
(What's particularly strange about the lockup is that sometimes the system
will turn off the LCD backlight when it freezes -- but not the LCD panel
itself. Other times, it freezes with the backlight on.)

In the hopes of getting an oops from the NMI watchdog, I attempted to
enable the NMI watchdog with both 'nmi_watchdog=1' and 'nmi_watchdog=2'.
Neither seems to work. (Support for APIC and IO-APIC is compiled into the
kernel, although /proc/interrupts reveals that all interrupts are still
being routed through the XT-PIC)

It would seem that Linux is having trouble enabling the CPU's local APIC.
>From the boot messages:

        Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
        Could not enable APIC!

I was curious to know if there's anything I can do to enable the APIC.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for troubleshooting these hard
lockups, I would love to hear them :-)

(I've attached 'dmesg' output and 'lspci -vv' output.)

Thanks,

- Paul