select() - Linux vs. BSD

From: John Chris Wren (jcwren@jcwren.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 10:55:24 EST

        I hope I'm not rehashing anything discussed before, but I couldn't find any
references to this:

        In BSD, select() states that when a time out occurs, the bits passed to
select will not be altered. In Linux, which claims BSD compliancy for this
in the man page (but does not state either way what will happen to the
bits), zeros the users bit masks when a timeout occurs. I have written a
test case, and run on both systems; BSD behaves as stated, Linux does not
act like BSD.

        Should the man pages be changed to reflect reality, or select() fixed to
act like BSD?

        -- John