Re: Why side-effects on open(2) are evil. (was Re: [RFD w/info-PATCH]device arguments from lookup)

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 20:26:48 EST

Daniel Phillips <phillips@bonn-fries.net> said:
> On Sunday 27 May 2001 15:32, Edgar Toernig wrote:

[...]

> > you break UNIX fundamentals. But I'm quite relieved now because I'm
> > pretty sure that something like that will never go into the kernel.

> OK, I'll take that as "I couldn't find a piece of code that breaks, so
> it's on to the legal issues".

It boggles my (perhaps underdeveloped) mind to have things that are files
_and_ directories at the same time. The last time this was discussed was
for handling forks (a la Mac et al) in files, and it was shot down.

> SUS doesn't seem to have a lot to say about this. The nearest thing to
> a ruling I found was "The special filename dot refers to the directory
> specified by its predecessor". Which is not the same thing as:
>
> open("foo", O_RDONLY) == open ("foo/.", O_RDONLY)

It says "foo" and "foo/." are the same _directory_, where "foo" is a
directory as otherwise "foo/<something>" makes no sense, AFAICS. Is there
any mention on a _file_ "bar" and going "bar/" or "bar/<something>"?

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616