Re: IDE Performance lack !

From: Jaswinder Singh (jaswinder.singh@3disystems.com)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 13:09:25 EST

"Chris Wedgwood" <cw@f00f.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 05:16:42PM -0700, Jaswinder Singh wrote:
>
> When ever i copy big data (around 400 to 700 MB ) from one
> partion to another my machine do not response at all (i can not
> work on another shell) during data transfer.
>
> Both paritions on the same spindle? That's going to suck no matter
> what you do...

I am having only one harddisk of 20 Gb , so i made four partitions on it.

> but it shouldn't be as bad as you describe.

But it is more bad then i described , especially when i do telnet/ssh from
my home .

I am not able to understand why Linux read and/or write harddisk after some
time (after few hours ) , harddisk read/write leds keep on glowing for few
minutes , even though nobody working on it and machine is in idle state.

>Have you tried 2.2.x ?

yes i am taking about 2.2.12 .

And in my 2.4.2 :-

Harddisk read-write problem is also there , during harddisk read-write
activity i took two hdparams and i got :-
i . 963.76 kB/sec
ii. 1.05 MB/sec

and when my machine becomes normal i got :-

9.07 MB/sec

and after hdparam -d1 i got :-

9.55 MB/sec

But my problem is why linux boxes do not response for few seconds
(sometimes) and especially during telnet/ssh it looks more worst and looks
similar to Microsoft Windows :(

there is problem in scheduling or what ?

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Jaswinder.

--