Re: no ioctls for serial ports? [was Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants]

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 14:43:21 EST

Hi!

> > Well, if we did something like modify(int fd, char *how), you could do
> >
> > modify(0, "nonblock,9600")
>
> What you're really proposing is to make ioctl's be ASCII strings.

Yup.

> Which is not necessarily a bad idea, and I think plan9 did something
> similar (or rather, if I remember correctly, plan9 has control streams
> that were ASCII. Or am I confused?).

I think that plan9 uses something different -- they have ttyS0 and
ttyS0ctl. This would leave us with problem "how do I get handle to
ttyS0ctl when I only have handle to ttyS0"?

> However, you can't really use a string. It would really have to be two
> memory regions: incoming and outgoing, with an ASCII representation being
> the _preferred_ method for stuff that isn't obviously structured or
> performance-critical.

What are cases where it is usefull to pass data back from kernel?
...aha, serial controls include possibility to read stuff, right?

                                                                Pavel

--
The best software in life is free (not shareware)!		Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+