Re: Linux 2.4.4-ac10

From: Ingo Oeser (ingo.oeser@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 13:19:24 EST

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 07:45:15PM +0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> Yes, ~exactly! I chose 30 tasks because they almost do (tool/userland
> dependant.. must recalibrate often) fit. The bitch is to get the vm
> to automagically detect the rss/cache munch tradeoff point without all
> the manual help.

What about a sysctl for that? Choose decent steps and let 0
(which is an insane value) mean "let's kernel decide" and make
this default.

In the past we could do this by adjusting some watermarks in
/proc/sys/vm but now, we can't do anything but trust the genius
kernel developers.

I doubt that we can test all kinds of workload and even imagine
what pervert stuff some people do with their machines.

Tuning _is_ manual work. Always has been and always will be.

This countinously "I know it better then you" is what I hated
about Windows and now this comes more and more into Linux :-(

Rik: Would you take patches for such a tradeoff sysctl?

Regards

Ingo Oeser

--
To the systems programmer,
users and applications serve only to provide a test load.