Re: [kbuild-devel] Re: CML2 design philosophy heads-up

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 12:22:35 EST

Michael Meissner <meissner@spectacle-pond.org>:
> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 06:09:09PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Aunt Tillie shouldn't try to manually configure a kernel.
>
> Ummm, maybe Aunt Tillie wants to learn how to configure a kernel.... After
> all, all of us at one point in time were newbies in terms of configuring
> kernels, etc.

And if she doesn't, maybe her teenage daughter Muffy wants to learn. You know,
the one with the unicorn appliques and the pink scrunchies and the Back Street
Boys posters in her bedroom?

Dammit, if we're serious about empowering people with free software we can't
limit ourselves with the attitude that configuring kernels (or anything
else) is the sacred preserve of a geek elite.

The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood. The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty. Are you free? -- Andrew Ford - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/