NETDEV WATCHDOG (Re: locked 3c905B with 2.4.5pre2)

From: G. Hugh Song (ghsong@kjist.ac.kr)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 08:27:11 EST

> Re: locked 3c905B with 2.4.5pre2
>
> From: Julian Anastasov (ja@ssi.bg)
> Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 04:22:15 EST

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 17 May 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > > eth0: Interrupt posted but not delivered -- IRQ blocked by another device?
> >
> > This is a failure of the APIC interrupt controller in
> > the 2.4 kernel. You'll need to boot your kernel with
> > the `noapic' LILO option. Or run -ac kernels, which
> > have a software workaround which fixes the problem.
>
> Yes, it seems noapic solved the problem with the lockup :(
>
> > Rumour has it that the APIC fix will be merged into Linus' tree
> > very soon. It needs to be - one of the more important ethernet
> > drivers is basically unviable on x86 SMP in 2.4.
>
> Agreed :) The performance sucks without apic.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Julian Anastasov <ja@ssi.bg>
> -
I used to get NETDEV WATCHDOG eth0:timeout error on
Alpha SMP, too, with the tulip card. Definitely, Alpha
has nothing to do with the x86 APIC. Since then, I switched to
3C905B.

I suspect that NETDEV WATCHDOG error covers a broad class of
network errors.

Does anyone know more about this?

Thank you

--