Workaround Found for Re: CD-RW ide-scsi problem presists with 2.4.4 (was Re: Problem with 2.4.1/2.4.3 and CD-RW ide-scsi drive)

From: Tim Meushaw (meushaw@pobox.com)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 19:14:40 EST

Thanks to an email I got (hi Thomas!), I was able to use a workaround to
the problem described below. I don't know if it's the accepted fix or
not, but it worked for me.

What I did was set the DMA mode of the drive differently. I used the
following hdparm command:
        hdparm -d 1 -X 34 /dev/hdd

After running that, I didn't have any problems. I wasn't able to tell
what the mode was before running that, as I received errors from hdparm
for half the parameters, presumably because of the SCSI emulation
<shrug>.

I'm no longer subscribed to this list (too much traffic!), but wanted to
answer when the same thing worked for him. :-)

Tim

Timothy A. Meushaw
meushaw@pobox.com
http://www.pobox.com/~meushaw/