Re: CML2 design philosophy heads-up

From: Michael Meissner (meissner@spectacle-pond.org)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 04:35:49 EST

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 05:47:41PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2001 03:26:36 -0400,
> "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
> >Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>:
> >> And If I want scsi-on-atapi emulation but not vme147_scsi?
> >
> >Help me understand this case, please. What is scsi-on-atapi?
> >Is SCSI on when you enable it? And is it a realistic case for an SBC?
>
> SCSI emulation over IDE, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI. You have the SCSI mid
> layer code but no SCSI hardware drivers. It is a realistic case for an
> embedded CD-RW appliance.

Or alternatively, you want to enable SCSI code, with no hardware driver,
because you are going to build pcmcia, which builds the scsi drivers only if
CONFIG_SCSI is defined, and the user might put in an Adaptec 1460B or 1480 scsi
card into your pcmcia slot.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304